September 6th, 2023
Many people mistakenly believe that overcoming addiction is a simple matter of willpower. They may think that since it involves putting substances into your body or actively participating in addictive behaviours, quitting means choosing to stop. Addiction goes beyond physical dependency on a substance; it equally affects mental, emotional and psychological well-being. Due to this all-encompassing nature of addiction, holistic therapy is required to treat the mind, body, and spirit and help achieve sustainable recovery.
Exploring holistic therapy
Holistic therapy takes care of all parts of a person, not just their body or mind. It looks at everything in a person’s life that’s been touched by addiction, including the causes, the effect on their relationships and social life and the impact it has on their overall well-being. Paying attention to these areas is crucial for recovery because if they are not addressed, the person will likely face the same pressures and triggers after completing rehab treatment, which could lead to them relapsing.
Some people may wrongly believe that holistic therapies are not as effective as traditional rehab therapy approaches like medication and cognitive behavioural therapy. However, holistic therapy is not meant to replace these traditional methods but rather to complement them.
Holistic therapy for addiction recovery
At Oasis Runcorn, we provide an extensive range of holistic addiction therapies that have proven to be highly popular and beneficial for our clients. These can include:
- Art therapy: This is when you use art to explore deep-seated emotions and memories and express your feelings about them. It helps you relax and discuss issues around substance use and addictive behaviours that you might find hard to put into words.
- Meditation: This is a way to relax your mind and focus your thoughts. It is incredibly helpful for dealing with stress and worry, which can often lead to a relapse.
- Mindfulness therapy: Mindfulness therapy helps you focus on the present moment and teaches you to be aware of your feelings, thoughts and surroundings without judgement. This can help reduce stress, manage difficult emotions, and decrease the chances of a relapse.
- Yoga therapy: The ancient art of yoga combines physical stretches and exercise, breathing techniques and meditation. It helps you handle stress and worry and makes your body stronger and more flexible. Yoga has multiple physical benefits and can add a new sense of calm and even spirituality to your life.
- Gong bath therapy: This form of sound therapy uses the sound of a gong to relax your body and mind. It’s a deep experience that can help you let go of emotions related to your dependence and recovery and leave you feeling refreshed and energised.
It is important to understand that the effectiveness of holistic therapy can vary greatly from person to person, as each individual’s experience with addiction is unique.
Some people may find mindfulness therapy extremely effective for managing stress and cravings, while others may benefit more from art or music therapy which allows them to express their feelings and emotions in non-verbal ways.
Go into every holistic therapy session with an open mind and see what works for you.
Why are holistic therapies necessary for recovery?
The common route some individuals take in their recovery journey is detoxification – the process of purging the body of addictive substances. While this forms a significant initial step, it’s insufficient by itself. Relapse becomes highly likely without addressing the root mental, emotional and psychological causes of dependency.
Common factors leading to addiction include:
- Mental health disorders like anxiety and depression
- Stressful life events
- Relationship issues
- Family history of addiction
- Easy access to addictive substances
If any of these root causes remain unaddressed, there is a high probability of reverting to substance use or addictive behaviours when confronted with familiar triggers. With a broad spectrum of holistic therapies, Oasis Runcorn can tackle all these issues, providing our clients with the best shot at a fruitful recovery.
Unpacking the benefits of holistic therapy for addiction
The primary advantage of holistic therapy lies in its potential for enduring recovery. Treating all facets of a person’s life equips them with the necessary tools to establish a solid foundation for recovery.
Further benefits of holistic treatment include:
- Enhanced mental health: Holistic therapy can help you manage your mental health better, addressing both your dependency and any related mental health challenges.
- Lowered stress and anxiety levels: Practices like meditation or yoga can help reduce your stress and anxiety levels – common factors that can lead to substance use and relapse.
- Heightened self-awareness: By focusing on the connections between your mind and body and gaining personal insights, holistic therapy can help you understand your own behaviours and reactions better.
- Boosted self-esteem: Holistic therapy can help you grow as a person and accept yourself, leading to greater self-confidence and a stronger sense of self-worth.
- A deeper understanding of your dependency: Holistic therapy allows you to explore and understand the roots and impacts of your substance use or compulsive behaviour in a comprehensive way, helping you understand how it affects your life.
- New techniques for managing difficult emotions and triggers: Holistic therapy gives you various strategies to deal with challenging emotions and potential triggers, arming you with practical tools to maintain sobriety and navigate through life’s challenges.
The benefits of holistic therapy after you leave rehab
Many holistic therapy strategies can be incorporated into your daily life, aiding your ongoing recovery efforts. Meditation and mindfulness, for example, can be practised anywhere and anytime, while yoga and art therapy can be conveniently integrated into your daily routine. Oasis Runcorn offers weekly group therapy for a year in our aftercare programme, and ongoing practice of the skills and methods you learned in holistic therapy can complement this perfectly.
Begin holistic therapy today
If you, or anyone you know, grapple with addiction, do not hesitate to contact Oasis Runcorn today. Our diverse range of holistic therapies can help to rejuvenate your mind, body and soul, providing you with the best opportunity for a brighter, healthier future.