October 2nd, 2023
Strengths model programme
At our Oasis Runcorn clinic, we provide a unique approach to addiction recovery. Alongside the traditional 12-step programme, we offer the innovation strengths model programme. Oasis Runcorn is England’s sole addiction rehab centre, offering these two distinct treatment options. Discover the strengths model, its application in addiction treatment, and how it supports individuals on their journey to recovery.
What is the Strengths Model Programme?
The Strengths Model Programme is a psychotherapy approach firmly rooted in social work principles. This therapeutic method empowers individuals by helping them uncover their inner strengths while addressing and surmounting their challenges. Often referred to as a ‘strengths-based approach’ to therapy, it boasts a rich history dating back to the 20th century, and it has consistently demonstrated its effectiveness in treating a wide range of mental health disorders.
This versatile therapeutic model can be adapted to address various health conditions, including but not limited to:
- Low self-esteem
- Trauma resulting from abuse
At Oasis Runcorn, we integrate the strengths model into our addiction treatment programmes, as our goal is to provide a holistic and personalised approach that recognises and harnesses each individual’s unique strengths throughout their recovery journey.
Core Principles of Strength-Based Therapy for Addiction
- Strength-based therapy recognises that denial often acts as a defence mechanism in response to shame and guilt. When clients embark on their journey through strength-based therapy, they tap into their innate resilience and determination to overcome addiction.
- Every client is a unique individual with specific capabilities, strengths, and boundaries. Each person owns their narrative, and within them lies the potential for a happier and healthier life.
- Change is a constant in life, and embracing change is pivotal to finding peace and hope for the future.
- Before commencing treatment, assessing an individual’s positive attributes is essential. These qualities are viewed as their ‘recovery capital’ – the tools individuals can leverage throughout their Strengths Model programme.
- In collaboration with therapists, clients establish personalised ‘SMART’ goals for strength-based therapy. These goals are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, and Realistic Targets for personal growth.
- With a positive outlook, individuals can see their community as a valuable resource for support and achieving their recovery objectives.
Why choose a Strength Model Programme?
In the realm of addiction treatment, strength-based therapy is intentionally crafted to facilitate the development of certain qualities, including resilience, perseverance, and determination. Within the therapeutic sessions, individuals have the opportunity to share their life narratives, redirecting their attention away from feelings of guilt or shame and enabling them to recognise their innate will to persevere.
The Strengths Model programme offers a distinctive choice for those seeking an alternative to the 12-step therapy initiative in addiction treatment. Unlike the 12-step programme, which encourages participants to establish a connection with a higher power or God, the strengths model does not require such spiritual engagement. Consequently, strength-based therapy presents an appealing option for clients who do not resonate with the concept of a higher power.
How does the Strength Model work within addiction treatment?
Strength-based therapy seamlessly complements Oasis Runcorn’s comprehensive rehab programme, which includes detoxification, workshops, and holistic therapies. Our team of highly qualified therapists and dedicated addiction support workers has found that the most effective approach involves integrating strength-based therapy into daily routines as part of a holistic treatment. Within our supportive and interconnected environment, individuals can openly address their past traumas during group sessions, fostering a sense of safety and trust on their recovery journey.
The eight stages of Oasis Runcorn’s Strength Model programme
The strengths model at Oasis Runcorn empowers individuals to embrace their personal qualities and fosters positive growth. Our strengths model program comprises eight essential components:
- Life Story: In the early stages of strength-based therapy, you will create a ‘life story roadmap’ and share it with your group. This may be challenging as it can bring up past traumas. However, through techniques influenced by narrative therapy, this process will help you confront your past, grounding you in the present and reinforcing the understanding that your past is now behind you.
- Your Addiction: Now that you’ve crafted your life story map, our therapists will collaborate with you to revisit your history of addiction. This will enable you to pinpoint the stressors or traumatic events that triggered your ongoing struggle.
- Your Strengths: Once you’ve gained insight into your past, you can shift your attention to your strengths. Our therapists will assist you in discovering new ways to harness your greatest qualities should you encounter challenges after rehab. Embracing your positive attributes is the cornerstone of strength-based therapy, and it has the power to unlock your potential as you head towards recovery.
- Change: As you reach the midpoint of strength-based therapy, it’s crucial to break free from any hindering feelings of ‘fixation’ on your recovery journey. To aid in this process, you’ll complete a worksheet to clearly define the changes you wish to make in your behaviour and lifestyle. This approach is inspired by ITEP mapping (International Treatment Effectiveness Project), a form of psychosocial recovery planning.
- Underlying emotional triggers: The next stage is designed to help you uncover any underlying emotional issues that could impede your recovery journey. These issues might encompass feelings of fear, self-hatred, dishonesty, or regret. Once more, therapists will support and encourage you to share your completed worksheet with the group. This approach provides a valuable opportunity to process your emotions within a nurturing and secure environment.
- Forgiveness: This programme phase encourages you to reflect on how your challenges have impacted your connections with loved ones. Collaborating with your therapist, you can explore strategies for reconciling and rebuilding these relationships once you return home.
- Reflection: Before advancing to the final step, you will be encouraged to reflect on your progress so far, and the following points will be established:
Give yourself ample time to grow, rest, and reflect—practice self-compassion by setting small, achievable goals following the SMART criteria.
Make changes gradually. You don’t need to overhaul every aspect of your life to commence your recovery journey. Instead, concentrate on addressing the personal issues that hinder your progress.
- Relapse prevention: Prior to leaving rehab, you will establish a plan to sustain the strength model throughout your recovery journey. In this context, strength-based therapy plays a pivotal role in assisting clients in managing their post-rehab life expectations.
If you’re eager to learn more about Oasis Runcorn and how our Strength Model Programme can support your journey to addiction recovery, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team today.